Sunday, March 23, 2008

A funny thing happened on the way to Quebec

Actually, it was in Quebec. I had all sorts of high hopes that I would have tons of stories and exciting photos from my Easter in Quebec, but I don't.


"Why?" you ask. I shall tell you. I shall start at the very beginning. "Why?" you ask. Because, it is a very good place to start.

Az anyam and az apam drove us up to Keresztpapa and Aunt Martha's on Friday night. Be careful if you store your foreign currency with your passports - the border guards get a bit suspicious when you hand over a passport with cash in it.


Thursday we had a good night of sleep and an enjoyable morning on Friday just hanging out with the Quebec Hegedusek. I even napped a little Friday. Then it happened. We were driving around the city with Martha Neni when I decided I didn't want my lunch anymore, so I orally evacuated it from my system.

Here I am mere minutes before the regurgitation.

I then proceeded to retch several more times in the evening. By the morning I had stopped the disgorgation, but had passed it along to az anyam. It was kind of like that scene in Stand by Me (WARNING: Do not click the link if you have a weak stomach.)

By then, I had enough of any place (Quebec, in particular) that makes me and az anyam that sick. I let az anyam and az apam know this in my own subtle idiom. "What is that nuanced way of yours, Mate?" you ask. By screaming and freaking any time I was in Keresztpapa and Martha Neni's apartment.


So az apam and az anyam decided it would be for the best if we left on Saturday and got some sleep in our own beds and didn't pass our bug over to Martha Neni and Keresztpapa.


Like with pretty much everything in life, az apam was right. So was az anyam on this issue. Getting home and sleeping in my own bed and being in familiar surroundings made a huge difference. This picture is from me in the car yesterday. I'm more than a wee bit happier than I was 24 hours earlier.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes Mate, some of the political goings-on in La Belle Province have made many other people sick as well.....

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter, Máté! We are so glad you and your anya are better. You missed the Easter Lapin since you left a day early. We hope to see you again very soon! Lots of love from Montréal =)